The holidays are here my friends, let's just take a deep breath and soak it in. We have so much to look forward to, these will be busy days. I am here to remind you to show up for yourself every day. Now is the time for routine and consistency. Let's not wait. There will be food everywhere, and there will also be people you love, and people who annoy you, there will also be music, shopping, and dancing. We eat 21 meals each week, this won't change. Now is the time to remind yourself these holiday foods, and meals can be made any day of the year. Be intentional and be hungry when you eat.
If you feel stressed, a deep breath can do wonders for you. It will help our nervous system slow down or grab some aroma therapy when it feels hard to slow down, I grab my Mood Boost and roll it on. Your breath should come from your stomach, it should be a slow long inhale where the only part of your body that moves is your stomach. Place your hand on your belly button, take a slow deep breath fill your stomach like a balloon, and then let it out slowly so your stomach returns to normal. Do three of these. Do them often, do them anywhere. No- one will notice, this is available to you anytime time of the day.
Here's how you can follow these recommendations….
1.Eat when you are hungry: Listen to your body's hunger cues. Avoid eating out of boredom or stress. Take your normal portion and wait 15 minutes, to see if you are still hungry. Then, if you do not feel better within those 15 minutes more food can be consumed.
2. Eat what you love: Choose foods that you enjoy, and that love you back. Watch those food sensitivities.
3. Eat without distractions: Try to have mindful meals by focusing on your food without distractions like TV or smartphones. This will enhance your eating experience and help with portion control.
4. Get 10,000 steps: Stay active by incorporating regular walks into your daily routine. If you have a fitness tracker, it can be a fun way to track your steps and set goals. Dance around a bit while decorating and/or cooking or take the family on a scavenger hunt.
5. Drink 8 glasses of water: Hydration is essential. Keep a water bottle handy and aim to drink throughout the day. Herbal teas and infused water can make it more enjoyable. Water is the most crucial nutrient we can physically put into our body; our body should be 60% water. Our cells are about 43% water. We have 100 trillion cells in our body. Water becomes the vessel it’s in. It provides lubrication to every organ, every cell, and every fiber of tissue in your body. Our bodies can’t work properly without it.
6. Sleep 7 hours: Prioritize sleep for overall well-being. Create a bedtime routine that helps you unwind and establish a consistent sleep schedule. Put those electronics away!
I am so happy we are on this journey together. Some of us have been together for a while and some just a short while. I am grateful for you all, and so happy to be here with you. Remember that the holidays can be challenging to maintain these rules (habits) due to the abundance of festive foods and social gatherings. It's okay to enjoy the holiday, if you overeat remember your body thrives in consistency- one meal can't screw up anything, get right back to the rules. Practice every day, maintain balance, and continue to prioritize your health and well-being. If you need more specific advice or support, just ask!